Question: Why doesn't The Paperless Hymnal® sell a printed book of the songs they publish?
Answer: There are several reasons why we don't print a songbook to go along with the songs we publish in PowerPoint®.
(1) It takes a second license to print a song and that would double the amount of copyrights we would be paying. That in turn would raise the cost of the product.
(2) It costs money to print a songbook. That in turn would raise the cost of the product.
(3) We would have to print different songbooks for each volume. When we added additional song versions or made corrections, we would not automatically update your printed songbooks. You would need to buy a new book every so often. That in turn would raise the cost of the product for you.
(4) We are THE PAPERLESS HYMNAL®.
Besides - most people have printers and have the capability of printing out songs from the FullSong directory while they most likely do not have a copying machine to make a copy of a song from a book. We think this is a much better alternative.
Question: How do you select the songs for the next volume?
Answer: We have a "must do" list. The process goes something like this.
(1) When you send us a suggestion, I place it in the list. I also place many songs on the list.
(2) When a second person requests that same song, I flag the song for possible publishing. Many times I am the second person.
(3) If I can find a good arrangement of the song, or an arrangement in popular use that is suitable for congregational singing, I start checking on the status of the copyright.
(4) If the copyright administrator can be found, I flag the song to be published and do the typesetting and send it to Dr. Diann Sloan for proofing.
(5) When I have enough songs ready, I send out letters requesting contracts. I usually send out requests for about 70 songs.
(6)When I get the first 50 or 60 contracts back, I cut it off and publish the volume and pay the royalties, which usually are about $7500 for the volume.
Steps 1 through 4 happen all year round. It takes anywhere from 3 to 5 months to finish steps 5 and 6.
To suggest songs for future volumes, please use the suggestion form. It isn't necessary that the form be used, but many times I need more information than just the title to the song.